Saturday 14 May 2016

Church of many colours

Hello. I went to the opening of a new exhibition last night at the 20 21 Arts Centre. The instillation is called Our Colour Reflection. The floor of the church is covered with coloured mirrors to reflect the lights installed in the ceiling. In fact there were two exhibitions in one. Gill Hobson is an artist who works with projected light, and the walls were bathed in glorious colours to complement the floor mirrors. Her web site has some wonderful works from her past exhibitions. Well worth a look. 

The mirrors, as I mentioned on Thursday, are by Liz west. You can read the blurb about Our Colour Reflection, on her web site. Should you wish to see this it is on until the 25th of June.





The combination of the two artists worked well, but Gill Hobson's projections were only on for the opening night. I have been told that on a fine day, the church is lit up from the sun shining through the windows, so I will have to go back in the day time to see that.

Plenty to do today, so I'll say Toodle pip, have a good weekend, and we'll catch up soon.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I have an artistic bone in my body as I don't get this at all lol. I love the church though without the lights. I love wandering around cathedrals and churches so maybe I need to see it in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love it! The last piece of installation art I saw was all those tiny figures, like mini-people, by Anthony Gormley, when they were in the Spanish Barn, in Torre Abbey, Torquay. But this is much prettier! Love it! Thank you for photographing this for us all to see, Ilona.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day when you posted the photo of the colors on the floor I did not realize they were mirrors. Very interesting.

    It is great that what looks like a gorgeous church is being used as an arts centre instead of sitting vacant like some churches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello it is v pretty but where do the congregation pray? it must be a big church lol. Sorry to sound daft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved all your photo's. What a great idea to use the church. Everything looks beautiful. Well done to both the artists. Looking forward to seeing your photo's when the added lights are removed, to see the difference and how they complement/ed each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is stunning.... many years ago when Tony and I were making stained glass items I bought him twelve different coloured sheets of mirror glass. It is still in the box as he thinks it is too beautiful ticut. I now want to just put them totally uncut on he wall and point some lights at them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the juxtaposition of the bright colours with the calm cream of the church's stone pillars. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Amazing. It is good to see art that makes you feel something. It makes the church look alive. It reminds me of when I would go to church as a child and the sun would shine through the stained glass windows. The colours fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very beautiful, I love your photographs.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.