Tuesday 2 February 2016

On this day in 2002.

Hello. I've been checking the diaries to see what I was doing on this day in past years. I haven't gone so far back this time, can you remember what you were doing on the 2nd of February 2002? I can. Me and my boyfriend, Dave, not his real name, I'll spare him the blushes if he or anyone who knows him reads this, arrived at our hotel in Orlando at 5am. The journey had taken longer than it should have done, due to high winds at Birmingham airport. We couldn't take off and had to be bused to Manchester Airport and eventually took off at 11pm. We had a hire car waiting when we landed. 
We were keen to get started on our holiday so only had an hour in bed before we were off out. I'll copy from the diary. We first had breakfast at Denny's then we went to the Magic Kingdom and had the day there. There was a big firework display at night behind the castle. Tinkerbell flew from the top of the tower, we got a good spot for viewing. There was a big light parade, about 30 floats all lit up. Fantastic show, the best I have ever seen. We had a meal at TFI Friday restaurant. I am very tired tonight due to lack of sleep last night. 


Sunday 3rd February. Today we went to Universal Studios. I drove there, it wasn't very far. First we went to the Air Tours meeting, the reps tried to sell us tours, sun cream etc, they gave us a free breakfast. We got into the park at 10.00am, using the tickets that Dave bought from the two boys off the internet. We got in OK. There were only a few rides in this park, most of them were simulators. ET, Twister, Earthquake, and Terminator. Some of them were 3D. Back to the Future was brilliant, Terminator was best of all, Jaws was a boat ride and very funny. Later on we had a meal at the Pancake House. The waiter was a bit annoyed because we only offered the money on the bill. We didn't know that we had to add a service charge. We walked up International Avenue and called into Friday's for a pint. I was dead tired and my legs were aching.

Monday 4th February. We had breakfast at Ponderosa. Then went to Universal Islands of Adventure. The ride, The Hulk was great. A steel coaster sitting on top of the rail, four seats across. We went on it five times. The Spiderman ride was great, 3D, felt like you were really in a Spiderman film. The shows were great, flashing lights, plenty of action. We went back to Ponderosa for dinner then went on the City Walk. We went in a club for a drink, then back to the hotel. 

Tuesday 5th February. Today we went to Disney Studios MGM. Not quite as good as Universal yesterday but still OK. Rock and Roll coaster was inside in the dark, upside down, very good. We played Who Wants to be a Millionaire. We didn't get many questions right because they were mainly about America. The Tower of Terror was quite good. There was a fantastic light show on the lake, we had to get our seats early. Later, we went to Old Town to look round the shops and had our dinner at Ponderosa. Tired, a lot of walking.


Wednesday 6th February. Breakfast at Ponderosa. We went to Busch gardens, Tampa Bay, today. It was 70 + miles along Highway 4. I drove there. I had a headache so I kept off the coasters. I went on the Log Flume and got wet. We went on the Rhino Rally, it was great. Lots of animals at this park. I had a look round by myself while Dave went on the coasters. the weather wasn't so good, it rained, but we had our plastic capes with us. We had our dinner tonight at Pizza Hut, I had a veggie pasta bake.

Thursday 7th February. Breakfast at Ponderosa. Today we went to Sea World, it was mainly animals and shows. Saw the killer whales. I had a walk round so Dave could go on Kracken coaster. I went on Journey to Atlantis, a wet roller coaster. We looked at the shops later on and went back to Ponderosa for dinner.

Friday 8th February. we were late staring today, packed the cases and had breakfast at Ponderosa. Then back to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, for some last goes on the Hulk coaster. We arrived at the airport at 4.15pm . we were all in the plane and ready for take off at 7pm. Started to gain speed, got to the end of the runway and the pilot decided to abort the take off. The brakes went on and we taxied back to the terminal building. The pilot said there was a small problem, and the engineer came and fixed it. We took off at 8pm. I tried to sleep but I only dozed off for half an hour, watched a couple of films. The seats were awful, not much room. We landed at Birmingham at 8.15am.

So there is my little trip down memory lane. It was a smashing holiday. My boyfriend was coaster mad, and this was one of many holidays we had visiting theme parks to ride roller coasters. Random pictures which are not brilliant, I haven't fixed the scanner up, so they are photo's of photo's.

Thanks for popping in. A bit late tonight. Catch you tomorrow. Toodle pip.

20 comments:

  1. I was there. In 1998, 2005 and 2015. We won't visit anymore but have wonderful family memories that we'll for ever..

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have family near there; I've never been. (To the park; i've been to Florida) You had more fun then i ever would! I'm one of those people who can't do rides so i hold the bags. I'm the bag girl!
    When our children were small, we'd take them to Cedar Point in Ohio. We went there every year or every other. I could ride the carrousel; one year we sprang for the kids to go to the water park next door. I liked that better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cedar Point, my favourite park because it's so big, plenty to do.

      Delete
  3. Loved reading about your trip to Florida, Ilona, because this is the area where I live, specifically the Tampa Bay area. As an animal lover you'll be interested to know that Sea World is stopping the shows with the killer whales (this year I think) because of controversy over the treatment of the animals. I believe that the whales will still be at Sea World but in a larger more natural habitat and they will not have to perform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara. I remember reading about stopping the shows with the killer whales. Although it was thrilling at the time to see it, I have got photo's, I'm glad they don't do it any more.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun vacation! What was your favorite theme park or roller coaster?
    We have taken the kids to Disney and Universal 4 times...lots of happy memories! Cape Canaveral was really interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy. My favourite park was Cedar Point in Ohio, favourite coaster, Millennium Force at that park. I went on it ten times without getting off. Fantastic views from the top of the lift hill.

      Delete
    2. That must be some roller coaster!! I have never been to Cedar point, but it sounds amazing. Do you still ride coasters? Are they building a paramount theme park in London?
      I think the worst roller coaster that I have been on was called Outer Limits at Kings Dominion. It was an indoor coaster, and it felt like my head was a pingpong ball, bouncing all over the place. Never rode that one again.

      Delete
  5. Ah I remember you telling me about the roller coaster trips. They're not my bag. I find them too scary. Perhaps there is an anxious side of me that doesn't need the self induced fear that this type of ride brings! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you needed another holiday after that busy one. In Feb 2002 my life was hectic. Our 3 children were 14, 11 and 9 and I'd just gone from part time work to full time. It was busy and stressful but I stuck at it as it was a case of needs must. I found it very hard going though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs LH, I admire anyone who grapples with kids and jobs, all well worth it in the end I suspect.

      Delete
  7. I went in 2004 I do remember the jaws ride being hilarious and all my kids laughing like mad. You look exactly the same in that pic Iliona.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great read and fab photos, too! I've always kept a travel journal but had a mass clear out a couple of years ago and chucked out everything pre-2005. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix, glad to see you back. I love your India posts.

      Delete
  9. We have our memories, but isnt it fun to have journals and photos to remember the details. I have been to Disney World, Sea World, and Busch Gardens with my children when they were small. Great fun for them and sweet memories, but for myself, I like wilder, natural places.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The theme parks are always fun. We were in Orlando in December of 2004, took my whole family there for holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post, you have not changed one bit.
    All our holidays for over 25 years were spent driving in the American South Western states, in the deserts and great National Parks, I also love the wild, natural places and also the Native American culture.
    From the age of 6 we took our grandson with us so, naturally, Florida was also on the agenda in 2003 and 2006.
    Favourite parks in Florida were the Universal ones. Best ride ever...Back to the Future, scared of roller coasters though.
    We have a little stray cat, who visits every day but will not stay because he and mine just do no get on well. He sleeps at night in a neighbour`s shed so we know he has good shelter. Anyway, given that he treats our house as his restaurant, he was christened
    Denny. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lived in Florida in 1954 when I was a little girl. I had my fifth birthday there! No Disney, of course, but there was Cypress Gardens, a scary reptile farm, and a few other special animal parks. I also remember visiting St. Augustine and all of the historical stuff there and the Everglades.

    I did not return to Florida until 1999 when my husband and I did Disney World, Cape Canaveral, and other spots. So much more developed than 45 years earlier!

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're a far braver woman than I, cowardice is almost a religion with me!
    In Feb 2002 our son was 15, so I was working full time, running him back and forth to judo, archery, and five a side footy, and to top it all, looking after my seriously ill mum! Where I found the energy from is a mystery!
    I lead a far more sedate life these days, and I still wouldn't ride a roller coaster!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh that bought back memories - I have a photo of my daughter sat on that tortoise about four years after you did!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.