Tuesday 24 June 2014

Crafty things to learn

Hi , I've been playing with bits of fabric today, trying to copy something that Janet showed us yesterday at Craft Club. I didn't make a very good job of it so I won't post a pic of my failure, it was only a practice. I used the wrong coloured fabrics, I knew it wouldn't work before I finished it so lost interest quite quickly. I will have a better idea when I try again. 
Janet brought in this bag to show us, it's made out of squares joined up. I was trying to make one of these squares. 

This is a needle case she made with two squares, by joining them together and putting a piece of fabric in the middle to stick the needles through.

 Basically it's a circle of fabric, with a square of contrasting fabric which sits inside the circle. The colours I used were too bold and a similar pattern, it didn't work.

Here is Avril having a lesson from Janet on how to make the squares. I wasn't taking much notice as I was getting on with my own thing. Avril is usually a knitter, so making something with fabric is new to her. She quite enjoyed it, a new skill learnt. We all swap ideas, it's a great place to be on a Monday morning. 
This morning I did my community service and went out with the garden shears again and chopped back a mass of brambles on some rough ground which were spilling out over a well used footpath.  It's the time of year when everything is growing like mad, and needs to be kept under control.

After lunch I had a bimble around yoootoob, looking for small projects to try, and came across this one. The presenting style is very clear and easy to understand.


I can do that I thought, so here is my finished article. A dinky little dangly ornament to hang wherever. Dead easy to make, if you don't have a machine you could sew it by hand.


I'm getting hooked on these yoootooob vids, there are instructions to make almost anything. Think I'll go and have another look, always something new to learn.

14 comments:

  1. Ilona, I like you're folded fabric ornaments! I think the first one you tried is called Cathedral Windows and is also demonstrated on YouTube. I made a pillow for someone using red a n d white. Once was enough - never again! I agree with you that trying something new is fun. I am currently making a Scrappy Trips quilt for a new little boy in the family. Instructions also on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I saw, too. The ornament and the bag are both variations on Cathedral Windows. A little more practice and she will have a nice bag. I don't have the patience to do a quilt's worth of Cathedral Windows blocks, even though I think it is a beautiful quilt.

      Delete
  2. Wow I like your fabric ornament Ilona... I wonder if it could be used to embellish a bag or even the front of a purse? I have very little use for ornamental stuff and I am always looking for a purpose for everything. The bag made from the circles and squares is really up my street... I might have a go at that and yes I love youtube how-to's... some are not very well done but loads are really useful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. They could be used for embellishments. My pan lid is 7.25 inches across, which made a square 3.5 inches. I will try one a bit smaller and see what it looks like. You could make several and arrange them on a fabric bag, small stitches in matching cotton would be fine, or machine around the edges with the same coloured cotton already used.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Ilona-i really liked these small ornaments. I help out as a volunteer with craft activities for older people and I'm always looking for ideas. I also think the patchwork is cathedral window and like the poster above, it was a once only experience as it nearly drove me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work! I struggled with crocheting one of those lovely lacy scarves but couldn't figure it out without youtube. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ilona, yours is better than the tutorial! I look at youtube tutorials all the time. If I am not sure of a knitting or crochet stitch I usually find the answer on there. When I got my washing machine I refused to pay the extortionate installation charge so I went on youtube to find a tutorial on plumbing it in, found one watched it a few times then did the work. Success!

    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to try these, they look so easy but are very effective. I want to make some into curtain tiebacks. Does that sound a bit weird? I think it would look good. Thanks for posting. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you say, you can find out how to do almost anything on the net!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ornaments could be used any time, they are so cheerful.Ihave made crocheted ornaments for the tree at Christmas. Crafting and any handwork is very rewarding, I find.One year hubby, kids and I made many St. Christopher stars using origami technique which is three dimensional.They were also hung on string in our windows.Very simple but pretty and a great way to bond .Your post and photos on walking were so enjoyable to read, your such a sturdy girl to make it all that way.It always is gratifying to challenge oneself and meet your own expectations. Bravo!Poor fellow with sore feet might have benefited by having some moleskin that day. My daughter who hikes in the Alberta mountains would not be without it on her treks.And not least, some frozen brands here in Canada are better than others. It's hit and miss.But even frozen fresh broccoli from our former farm garden was not eagerly eaten by us plain, it was much better in soup or stew or pulverized in pasta sauce. The peas and corn do well though.I make brown rice and bean blend patties out of frozen thawed precooked bags in the freezer and they are much cheaper than buying frozen veggie burgers etc.which are sometimes six to eight dollars for four here.But if on sale I'll buy them as they are convenient to have on busy days.Thank you, for sharing. regards, Destemona.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet ornaments with lovely patterns. I've said it before and I will say it again, you are very talented my dear. I have had a few hours at the machine making a mixture of things. Some complete disasters but others I am quite happy with. If you don't give things a go you never know if they will work out do you?

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just new to your blog but I am loving it and slowly working my way back through your older posts. Thank you for the inspiration and the lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Riddle -- circle, square! How cute! I think I'm inspired now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Community service? What have you been up to you naughty person? What did you do and how many hours did you get?

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.