Tuesday 4 February 2014

Making a nest.

It's been a champion drying day, the washing is all put away after a good blow on the line. None of it gets ironed, I don't do ironing. The bed has been stripped and made up again. I have posted about this before, but it was ages ago so worth another mention. It's how I make my bed into a nest. 
First I have a mattress cover. On top of that I put one duvet, this I lie on top of. The lining of my nest if you like. Then I have four pillows for my head. I actually lie on two or three of them, the fourth one is used to prop me up in a sitting position while I read for ten minutes. Inside my bed I have another pillow which goes under my knees. I just find it more comfortable that way. 
Next on top of that is another duvet.
And finally another duvet. So that's one underneath and two on top. 
This is my nest ready to get into. I am not using the quilt I made at the moment as it's not needed. I will save it for the spring and summer. By surrounding myself in these duvets I burrow down like a mouse in a hole. I used to have an electric blanket many moons ago, but since making my bed like this in the winter I haven't bothered to replace it. I occasionally have a hot water bottle, but it isn't always necessary. So there you are, as snug as a bug in a rug.

On a different note, I made an interesting discovery today. I love this fabric which I am using to make a bag. There will be some left, but not enough for a second bag.
Turn it over and look at the other side. Isn't it amazing? It's like a painting, like someone has daubed paint on with a brush. I can see a picture hanging on the wall. This has got my mind working. It could be framed as it is, but what about adding embroidery to it in different colours, and maybe some beads. It could be quite an amazing piece of art.

Now I can't make up my mind which side I like best, the front of it......
Or the back of it? There are a lot of possibilities here. I shall look more closely at the back of fabrics in future, you never know what you will find.

Haven't got time to hang around tonight. Got to get my dinner, then I'm going to do the supermarket dash. I'm going yellow sticker hunting. Hope I'm lucky. Catch you tomorrow.
Toodle pip.

PS. I watched Dragons Den while on the trainer last night. Almost an hour. Had to stop halfway through to take some clothes off. I was chuffin hot, ha ha.

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabric. Is it a William Morris design?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't know. I got it from the Scrapstore.

      Delete
  2. Your bed looks so comfy! So do you lie on a duvet instead of a fitted sheet?
    Do you find that you have to wash the actual duvet you are lying on regular or can it go for ages before you have to do that?

    I'm just thinking that I may try it but worried that I would give myself more washing with the duvet underneath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Yes I lie on a duvet. I don't wash my duvet's, they wouldn't fit in my machine. I put them outside on the line once a month on a warm and windy day and give them a good shaking. You don't wash the mattress you are lying on, do you? I just wash the duvet covers.

      Delete
  3. Your bed looks super snug. Hope you had a successful yellow sticker hunt. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mother in law used to have some curtains made of that fabric, it is William Morris, so pretty. If I had a nest bed like yours I'd never get up, so cosy.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have some super posh William Morris fabric there. Do a google image search on that name and I'm sure your fabric will come up. If not, it's a very close style copy. What a find! Keep that one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I have a "thing" for wool blankets, I have to admit your "nest" looks inviting. My mattress has shearling sheep wool on top and I'm guessing it feels about like having a duvet underneath--and it feels wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/199143614746451107/
    I think you need to google image "william morris artichoke fabric", that's how I found the above link. You found gold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.alexanderinteriorsltd.co.uk/category-212/Artichoke.html
    and here you can buy it for a large sum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that link. Choke....ha ha, £103 per meter, eeeek.

      Delete
  9. I don't iron bedding either (who sees it?). I admit to having a hot water bottle every night in winter and also bed socks (just an old pair of socks) when it's very cold (we are in the north Scotland after all). I don't worry about pillowslips matching duvet covers either. As long as it's snug and comfy, that's all that matters. I can't remember if I said before that I was commenting as Sue but have changed to SusanM as there are too many Sues around and it's causing some confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your nest. I also use a duvet under the bottom sheet for extra comfort and warmth, and I have 2 hot water bottles, one for my feet and one to hug. I managed to get some washing out on the line this morning; had to get it in early afternoon when black clouds came over but it was already pretty dry by then. I'm also not an ironer. The only ironing I do is when I'm sewing and I have to press the fabric or seams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought a new bed with a memory foam mattress after I had my hip replacement done, but I have a lovely teddy-bear cover over it, then a sheet, it is so cosy, I have a duvet with a decent Tog and snuggle over that, if it is extra cold I have fleece blankets to thow over the duvet, I find at time its far too hot for me and whatever the weather I have the bedroom window open a wee bit, good clean air coming into my bedroom is a must for me, it saves having to use my asthma inhaler all the time., just about to go hibernate and enjoy my bed ,,,
    Danneke just before bed-time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty piece of fabric, fore and aft! I should pay more attention to fabric. I always turn knitted garments inside out, especially Fair Isle type colorwork, to see the "other" pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could cut the remnant of that beautiful fabric in two and frame both next to each other to show both that both sides are beautiful and "frame worthy".

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was ging to say that Fabric looked like a William Morris design, too. Its gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Def William Morris design!

    I love Compostman, but oh! the luxury of a bed made just the way *I* like!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great post! I'm wondering; do the hot water bottles ever leak? Those aren't too widely used here in the U.S; at least, not that i've heard. I've mentioned to The Mr. that we might want to consider one, but we haven't yet. Two quilts seem to work just fine most of the time. It would be nice to have one for those really, really cold nights, which we seem to be having many of recently.
    Love the fabric! However you use it, it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello momsav. The hot water bottles don't leak from the top as the stopper is a very tight fit with a rubber washer in it. The bottles themselves might leak if they are very old, and the rubber starts to perish on the inside and goes very thin. Best to have a good look round it every time you fill it. They normally last for years.

      Delete
  17. I have often thought that the reverse of some older fabrics are so much more eye catching than the front. A lot of the paisley patterns that I love have wonderful backs, a lucky find with yours I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would wake up boiliing if I had all that lot on my bed, but then I am nearing the age when I do get hot sometimes (I refuse to admit to hot flushes yet). Layering up is the only way if you are very cold though, I agree, and it does look very cosy :-)

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to confess that I get a real rush of pleasure when hopping into bed between crisp, freshly laundered sheets, especially when the weather gets warmer.. Hate ironing them though. What a good idea to frame both sides of the William Morris design to hang next to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the bright reddish side of that fabric. I also like the blue side too but I think the red side is more dramatic. Well, it depends on what you are going to make with it I guess. I loved seeing your "nest". Looks like it would be so comfy and warm to sleep in. We are having the worse weather here. Freezing rain on top of the snow that fell last night (again!). What an awful winter. Everything is iced over and people are trying to get their cars out to go to work. It's so dangerous. I saw a man get his car out across the street from me and then slip and slide all the way down the street. I felt for sure he is going to slide into another car on the road. Anyway, hope you had luck getting yellow sticker bargains last night. Can't wait to hear about them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your bed reminds of my pre-night heater trucking days or should that be nights. I had 2 sleeping bags and 3 blankets in the middle of winter and woke up to ice on the inside of the windscreen.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.