Friday 13 May 2011

Thursday in Edinburgh

The traffic outside the window woke me at 5am, this hostel is on a busy road. I need to move the car because the traffic restrictions come in at 7.30am, so I was out by 8.15 and drove to the Park and Ride at Straiton where I got the bus back into town at a cost of £1.30. With the car hopefully in a safe place I was able to start my sightseeing. A walk down the world famous Princes Street first and a glimpse at the castle.

I headed towards St Mary's Cathedral and went inside. The sun making lovely rainbow colours through the stained glass window.

Here is the splendid cathedral. Edinburgh seems to have an abundance of churches, there are spires everywhere you look.


Here is another view of the castle

I can't remember the name of this theatre and can't look it up because all my room mates have gone to bed and I am trying to be quiet.


This view of the castle is from Grassmarket. I climbed up the steps next to the post box to the top.

There are pavement bistro's everywhere, these are at Grassmarket. A bit early for people yet.

There is a lot of building work going on at the castle.

And this is why, they are making improvements for the grandstands for the Edinburgh Tattoo. When you see the size of the courtyard it makes you wonder how they manage to fit it all in.

Next to the castle is the Royal Mile Armouries at Castlehill. There is a tartan weaving mill and exhibition. Here I am looking down over a balcony at the weaving machines.

Another view of a machine.

Rows and rows of kilts of every kind, and for every clan.

Ooops sorry sir, I didn't know you were getting changed, ha ha.


Some very smartly dressed men in all their finery.



There are lots of colourfull buses around, I didn't take a ride, preferring to use my own two feet.

Oh blow, the paps have found me, ha ha. I just can't get away from them. Outside the Sheriffs Court, apparently someone smacked a football manager the other night.



Waverley Station.

Lots of green open spaces here, and it's very hilly, some good views.

I like the backs of these houses better than the fronts, they are next to the castle and look nothing from the other side.

This is the modern art gallery at Belford Road. I like the sign across the top of the entrance, 'Everything is going to be alright.' You bet it is.


And so concludes my walking tour.

8 comments:

  1. Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities and you got some great photos. I especially love the rainbow one inside St Mary's, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Anne, the stained glass window colours on the floor are spectacular. We used to live Nr Edinburgh ..I loved Edinburgh, so many interesting places to see.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great. I love the rainbow created by the stained glass too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you ARE famous, someone must have told them about you! Did you not have a bus pass or are they not valid up there?

    Yes, that photo of the stained glass is stunning!

    Hope the weather stays good for you, it's been absolutely horrible down here, heavy rain, cold and just not good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you were lucky with the weather, Ilona. Glad you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pity you didnt get to stay on Holy Island, its so interesting, I keep promising myself another visit but for longer than a few hours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so excited for you. Edinburgh is def in my top 5 cities of the world. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that Edinburgh is amazing and so accessible by foot.

    I have really enjoyed reading about it and seeing your wonderful photos.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.