Wednesday 24 November 2010

It's showtime !

I love to go to the theatre, a live performance is so entertaining. Sadly I don't go as often as I used to, the cost being the main reason. I have never been to the theatre in London before, but now I have ticked off that one pleasure on my 'things to do before I die', list.

Which one did I see? Before I tell you, have a look at the photo's I took of some of the theatres in London. These names were all familiar to me, as they are frequently mentioned on the radio. So and so is appearing at the Garrick, or the Lyceum in their brand new show.















Do you remember Sunday Night at the London Palladium on the tele? Bruce Forsyth compares. This is where it all took place. My mum and dad used to go to the pub on a Sunday night, and leave us with a box of Quality Street which we had to share out equally. This was the highlight of our week, we felt very grown up at being left on our own to watch the tele. We had strict instructions on what time to go to bed, and we always did as we were told, because we felt mum would somehow find out if we had stopped up later.
The Palladium is looking a bit neglected now, the last performance to take place there was Sister Act in October. The advertising boards are empty and vomit and rubbish is littering the steps. There is a rumour that Shrek the Musical is going to move there. Lets hope this happens, to breath some new life into such a historical building.

And which show did I see? Billy Elliot. I loved the film so it was my first choice. I went to the theatre half an hour before the matinee started, and was able to buy a £60 ticket for £27.50. It was a good seat, centre stalls, four rows back. For me there is only one place to sit in a theatre, and that is very close to the stage. The show was fabulous, the young lad who played Billy, Rhys Yeomans, was brilliant. There was lots of singing and dancing, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome!
    Been away myself. Something a bit more rural,but good to catch up with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that charged atmosphere that seems to be all about in the city of London. Everyone is busy and focused and there is a real feeling of acceptance too from the trades people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice you managed to go to the theatre! I haven`t been now for 1 year. Went to see Billy Connolly at the Hammersmith Apollo last November. War of the Worlds is booked for us, here in Brighton. We are taking my youngest son and his fiance to see it on Dec.16th. That`ll be their Christmas treat this year, and ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo I bet Billy Elliott, was fab!
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's areally good deal on your theatre seat and well worth it I say. 'She dragon' is right... there is definately a buzz about London.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.