Saturday 28 August 2010

Walking to Settle

I'm first down to breakfast again, all fired up and ready to go. A couple of small blisters on my big toes, but nothing that a needle and a splodge of Germoline won't cure. No achey legs yet, in fact the more I walk the fitter I feel. Bring it on!

My plan today is to walk to Settle, but I think I can fit in a short walk to the bottom of Malham Cove first. The weather looks good, I'll take the brolly but I hope I won't need it. There is a track up the side of the hostel which goes straight to the cove, this is the view as I am approaching it 20 minutes later.

Towering above me it is 240 feet high and 900 feet wide. It must have been an impressive sight when the waterfall came tumbling down, sadly this dried up 150 years ago.

Now the water only bubbles up from underground at the base.

Looking down on it as I walk up the lane, I can see where I was yesterday on the top.
I like to see a bit of all sorts when I am on my walks, so after crossing Kirkby Fell and passing Rye Loaf Hill, I cross the fields around the bottom edge of Settle, and arrive at the River Ribble, to pick up another long distance footpath, the Ribble Way.
This was an unusual and interesting sight, a fallen tree that looked as if it's insides had been gouged out, it was completely hollow. It was clinging to life with new branches shooting skywards from it's now horizontal trunk, which was resting it's head in the water. There is a message here, never ever give up, even if the future looks bleak. I'm pleased that no one has come with a big saw and removed this beautiful and inspirational piece of art work, Mother Nature at it's very best.

I do like this place name, it automatically puts a smile on my face. How nice to be able to say that you live in Giggleswick :o)

And just down the street a cheekily named eating house.

I found a bench to take a short break, on the corner of a busy road junction, and watched the tipper lorries as they trundled to and from the quarry at Langcliffe. There's a Volvo, yep, I used to drive one of those, that was me in another life. Now I have got this life, and it is great.
I bought a bag of toffees from a Spar shop, and started my walk back. There was a few people walking on this section as you can do a nice little circular walk for about three miles, and get fantastic views. This is looking down on where I have just come from.
There looked to be a section of fairly steep ridges to walk along the bottom of, so I chose this route. Attermire Scar is full of caves, which you can see the entrances to, though I didn't go in any of them. I'm not a fan of enclosed spaces. If you enlarge the photo you can see two figures exploring.

The track back to Malham was long and flat, and quiet, but full of sheep. I saw several strapping young men on their bikes, each one gave me a hello and a cheery smile.
Almost back and I found a reception committee waiting to greet me, ha ha. No matter how hard I try I cannot creep round them without disturbing them. One of them catches sight of me and it ripples amongst the whole group and they scatter in any direction. I am nice to them, talk gently to them, tell them not to worry, but to no avail, they still scatter.

Another good day's walking, this is going to be a biggee, I can feel it in my bones. Yep, I'm right, just checked it, 17.67 miles. Whoopeee!

2 comments:

  1. You really are the most brilliant travel writer, I'm loving your rambles (as much as ever)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, a lady after my own heart!! I would love to sit down to tea with you for a chat. Not possible so I will read about your life, enjoy your photos and walk, blog and photograph in Serbia and the US as you do in England!
    Walk on!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.