Friday 25 June 2010

Getting ready for the fete

I thought the country was on the verge of bankruptcy, every time you listen to the news it's all doom and gloom. The government has not got it's sums right for possibly a few hundred years, what a mess to be in!

If our finances are as dire as they say they are, how come I have just had a letter from the council telling me my council tax has just been reduced by £2 a month? I haven't the foggiest idea why, I can never understand the gobboldygook they write. I already get some council tax credit and I have been quite happy paying what they ask for, as I think it's a fair assessment of my circumstances. So now they are going to give me an extra £2 a month, which they can't afford. Doesn't seem right really.

It's that time of the year, the flags are out in the village in readiness for the village fete tomorrow. As well as the English flags adorning the pub and several houses along the High Street, we now have yellow and red bunting hanging from the trees and lamp posts on the village green, and the marquee's are up.

People have been busy in the church getting the art exhibition ready. I am entering nine prints in the photographic competition which will be on display in the Methodist Church. Don't know what the prizes are. The gardens which are opening on Sunday have been lovingly planted, trimmed, and tidied up, and the village hall is set for this evenings wine tasting. At £10 a ticket I decided to give it a miss. I would only embarrass myself by guzzling as much as I can to get my money's worth, then staggering home, and suffering with a hangover tomorrow, it's just not worth the hassle. Besides, I've just had a can of Tesco cider, it's cheap but I feel tiddly already, I'd better stop now.

Tomorrow I shall be strolling around with my sponsor form for my forthcoming fundraising walk for Lindsey Lodge Hospice. It's on July the 9th, so I'd better get a move on and get the dosh in. Last year I did the 13 miles in three hours, this year I want to beat that time. My training has gone well this week, three 'Henry' walks a day, 5 - 6 hours, for 7 days, I am feeling pretty fit now and ready for it. Toodle Pip

1 comment:

  1. The weather looks as if it could be ideal for your fete. Not typical at all, if memories of village fetes that I went to as a kid are anything to go by. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.