Sunday 21 February 2010

Dead cheap soup

I have been getting a tad bored eating steamed vegetables most nights, so I decided to play around with them a bit. It has to be something simple mind, and uses the least amount of pots and pans, I don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen. This is my version of vegetable soup.


Two potatoes, scrubbed not peeled. Ten sprouts. One parsnip. Two cabbage leaves. One onion. Boil them up in a pan of water. Add, teaspoon of turmeric, veg oxo cube, teaspoon of packet sauce mix, any old herbs and spices, and four desertspoons of natural yoghurt. Boil till veg is soft, mash with a potato masher. Makes about two pints. Costs a few pence when using reduced end of date veg. Three slices of bread from a 20p loaf, the cider was the most expensive part at 50p. Tasted loverly, I ate the lot straight out of the pan.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh very yummy and nice and cheap as well! And it sounds like there was little washing up if you ate it out of the pan (lol!). Cheap, yummy, little washing up....the perfect meal! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly, the simplest of meals will often taste the best. Looks pritty yummy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add that to my recipe list, looks delicious! we all need soup in this weather

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi there Ilona,just found your blog,and i think you are wonderful,really enjoying what you get up too,i am also 60, single and trying to live a very frugal life here in Adelaide,Australia,will come and check you out all the time now,found you on Down the Lane,which i love,cheer's from carol.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.