Sunday 19 April 2009

Man on a horse

I haven't had a good long walk for a few days, getting withdrawal symptoms, so as soon as I had my breakfast I was off. A couple of minutes and I am at the back of the church turning right onto Burton hills. It's a lovely morning, slightly cool, but as I am in the mood for getting some excercise I stride out keeping up a brisk pace. I soon warm up. This is the view after about half a mile, looking down over the River Trent. I love it up here, fantastic views, on a clear day you can see York Minster, but not today, it's a bit hazy. I crack on towards Alkborough. A bit further along I see a glorious sight, the most beautiful horse coming towards me. I stopped for a few minutes to admire this handsome boy, the owner said he used to be a racehorse but wasn't very good, too laid back, so now he is retired. What a bonus to come across them this morning.

At the end of the path I emerged through a gate at Julian's Bower, a maze cut into the turf. The view from here is spectacular, looking down over Alkborough Flats and across to where the rivers Trent, Ouse, and Humber meet up. I came here a few weeks ago on my bicycle. Before I set off back I had a quick walk down the steep bank onto the Flats, and some huffing and puffing back up again, all good for the old ticker.

On the way back I came across the horse again, this time he had stopped for a snack and was happily munching away on the grass verge. A good opportunity for a close up photo, as we chatted some more. Isn't he a beauty!

I feel set up for the day now, just got me in the mood for some gardening, and the sun's come out. Aint life grand!
Daily spend - nothing

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful horse... and such an energising walk. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.